This is a classic and globally traditional recipe for families to cook around the camp fire. It is easy to make and even more fun to cook. It only takes about 5 minutes to make the dough, while the fire is getting going. Before you know it you could be eating this tasty outdoor treat!
- 2 – 3 cups flour
- 1 – 2 table spoons of baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 – 3 table spoons of oil, butter or lard
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Put everything but the water in a bowl and mix with your fingers until crumbly.
- Slowly add water and mix until dough feels soft. It may seem that you don’t have enough water, but keep working the dough till it holds together. Don’t add more water!
- Knead it so it stays together.
- Take a small handful and wrap around the end of a green stick, like a marshmallow roast.
- Cook over coals for about 10 – 12 minutes, rotating to cook evenly. Eat as is, or add a bit of jam or honey.